Dr. Sumit Goyal
MBBS, DNB, (Neurosurgery) FINR (Fondation Rothschild Hospital, Paris, France)
Head Neuro – Intervention & Principal Consultant Neurosurgery,
Vimhans Nayati Super Speciality Hospital, New Delhi.
Contact Number: (+91)-9910333961
Dr. Sumit Goyal is one of those few neurosurgeons who are also expert in Neurointervention technique. He went to reputed Sir Ganga Ram Hospital for his DNB in neurosurgery, after which he pursued his interest in Neuroendovascular therapy for neurovascular disorders.
Before joining Vimhans Nayati Super Speciality Hospital, he was a Sr. Consultant, Neuro Surgery & Endovascular Neuro Surgery at PSRI Hospital, New Delhi. and consultant in neurosurgery and neurointervention at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital for more than six years. He had a bright academic career and has won many awards during his training and has received simultaneous first and second prize in ninth Delhi Course of neurointervention also. He is also a three-time recipient of Young Neurosurgeon travel fellowship awarded by World Federation of Neurosurgery to attend and present his work at World Congress of Neurosurgery.
He is an invited faculty in many national neurosurgery meetings and has many publications in international journals to his credit. Besides his main area of expertise in neuroendovascular therapy , he has excellent skills in microneurosurgery for brain and spinal disorders.
- Head Neuro – Intervention & Principal Consultant Neurosurgery at Vimhans Nayati Super Speciality Hospital, New Delhi.
- Sr. Consultant, Neuro Surgery & Endovascular Neuro Surgery at PSRI Hospital, New Delhi.
- Associate Consultant, Department of Neurosurgery Sir Ganga Ram Hospital , New Delhi, India.
- Assistant Professor : Ganga Ram Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research (GRIPMER)
E. Previous Professional Experience
- Attending Consultant, Department of Intervention Neurology, Max Super Specialty Hospital, Saket, New Delhi, India.
- Attending Consultant, Department of Neurosurgery, Fortis Hospital, Noida, UP, India.
Dr Sumit Goyal has vast experience for conducting Cranial and Spinal Surgeries. He has performed various neurosurgical operations including shunt surgeries, all kind of trauma surgeries, lumbar microdiscectomy, laminectomy, spinal instrumentation, anterior cervical discectomy with and without fusion and instrumentation, spinal intradural and extradural tumors, brain tumors, and stereotactic surgeries, skull base and vascular neurosurgery.
Dr Sumit Goyal posses immense expertise performing endovascular neurosurgeries. He has successfully performed various neurointerventional procedures including digital subtraction angiogram, intrarterial thrombolysis and intraarterial spasmolysis in refractory vasospasm, carotid stenting, aneurysm coiling, cranial and spinal AVM and DAVF embolisation, pre surgical tumor embolisation, acute stoke management.
Dr Sumit Goyal has worked at country’s first interventional neurology department which solely focused on various neurovascular pathologies, and was involved as first assistant and performed various steps in the different neurointerventional procedures which includes aneurysm coiling, intracranial stenting, AVM embolisation, presurgical tumor embolisation,spinal angiograms, spinal DAVF and AVM embolisation. Post procedure management of the patient in the neurointerventional ICU. Routine TCD monitoring of the patient.
Also involved in the training program of nurses and cath lab technicians being conducted in the department.
Awards and Fellowships:
- Awarded First prize in Poster presentation in poster entitled “Rare case of absent left Common carotid artery” at 9th Delhi Course of Neurointervention in March 2014, New Delhi, India.
- Awarded Second prize in Poster presentation entitled “Use of Intraarterial Nimodipine therapy in Post Subarachnoid haemorrhage refractory vasospasm” at 9th Delhi course of Neurointervention in March 2014, New Delhi, India.
- Awarded WFNS fellowship to present paper at XV World Congress of Neurological Surgery, From Sep.8- Sep 13th 2013 , Seoul, South Korea
- Awarded first prize in Poster presentation at Second annual conference of NSSI in March 2013
- Awarded travelling fellowship (Codman/ Depuy Spine, Inc.) to attend XIV World congress of Neurological Surgery, from Aug. 30th to Sep.04th 2009, Boston, USA.
- Received fellowship from WFNS(Indian Chapter) to attend XIV World congress of Neurological Surgery from Aug. 30th to Sep.04th 2009, Boston, USA
- Awarded second prize in Neuro Quiz at 10th Annual Conference of Delhi Neurological Association in Feb. 2009
Research Experience :
- Research Thesis (Dissertation for the degree of Diplomate of National Board, Neurosurgery)
- Management and outcome of acute subdural hematoma in Head injury: A prospective study done on 110 patients over four and half years of training.
Papers Published, accepted, or in press for publication in peer-reviewed Journals
- Sinha AK, Goyal S. Myoarchitectonic advancement of C2 spinous process for C1-C2 posterior fusion: A novel technique. Journal of Neurosciences in Rural Practice. 2015;6(2)
- Goyal S, Kumar S, Sharma R, Husain S. Unusual thromboembolic complication during an anterior communicating artery aneurysm coiling. Journal of Neurointerventional Surg.doi :10.1136/jnis.2010.004457 (Published online first)
- Goyal S, Batra AM et al. Tension pneumocepahlus: A Neurosurgical emergency. JAPI 2008;56:985
- Gupta A, Batra A, Rohatgi A, Goyal S. Myotonia congenital (Becker’s Variant). JAPI Oct 2009;57:707
- Kumar S, Sharma R, Goyal S, Husain S. Occipital artery occlusion to facilitate transmastoid posterior fossa tumor embolisation. Journal of Neurosciences in Rural Practice 2011;2(2):178-179
- Delivered faculty lecture at Neurovascon 2015 , Ludhiana, Punjab
- Delivered Faculty lecture at third Annual conference of NSSI in Feb 2014 , AIIMS Rishikesh, India
- Intraarteial chemical spasmolysis in refractory post suarachnoid haemorrhage vasospasm: An 18 months prospective analysis In tertiary care centre: Platform presentation at XV World Congress of Neurological Surgery, From Sep.8- Sep 13th 2013 , Seoul, South Korea
- Role of cerebral venous drainage in idiopathic subarachnoid haemorrhage: A retrospective analysis of 58 patients: Platform presentation at XV World Congress of Neurological Surgery, From Sep.8- Sep 13th 2013 , Seoul, South Korea
- Myoarchitectonic C2 spinous process mobilization for C1-C2 posterior fusion: A novel technique (ajit-sumit technique): Platform presentation at XV World Congress of Neurological Surgery, From Sep.8- Sep 13th 2013 , Seoul, South Korea
- Microvascular decompression for trigeminal neuralgia: Our technique of using Poly Tetra Fluro ethylene graft for separating the neurovascular conflicts: Poster presentation at XV World Congress of Neurological Surgery, From Sep.8- Sep 13th 2013 , Seoul, South Korea
- Management of Ruptured giant intracranial aneurysm : 2 ½ year experience at SGRH: Platform presentation at second annual conference of NSSI 2013, Jaipur, India
- Rare case of giant Pial AV fistula presenting as cervical myelopathy : Poster presentation at Second annual conference of NSSI 2013, Jaipur, India
- Role of Botulinum Toxin in obstetric brachial palsy injury : Poster presentation at NEUROCON 2008, Pune, India
- Rare case of dual pathology: Poster presentation at NEUROCON 2008, Pune, India
- Rare complication of iliac crest bone graft donor site: Poster presentation at 16th Annual Conference of Indian Society of Pediatric Neurosurgery.
- Cervical Laminoplasty, experience at SGRH: Paper presentation at 5th Annual Conference of Neurospinal Surgeons Foundation of India, July 2005.
- Calcified Extradural Hematoma; Poster presentation at 13th Annual National Neurotrauma Conference 2004, Ludhiana, India.
- 2003: Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (M.B.B.S), from B.J.Medical College, University of Pune, Pune, India.
- 2009: Diplomate of National Board- Neurosurgery (D.N.B), Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, National Board of Examinations, India.
- 2015: Fellowship in Interventional Neuroradiology, Fondation Rothschild hospital, Paris, France
Presented many seminars and journals on various topics of neurosurgery related to various neurosurgical pathologies, surgical techniques, postoperative management, complications and outcome during scientific meetings. Involved and interested in the teaching of medical students, interns, and nurses. Presently thesis guide for neurosurgery post graduate student.
Courses and workshop attended:
- 10th Delhi Course on neurointervention in March 2015, New Delhi , India
- Ninth Delhi couse on Neurointervention in March 2014, New Delhi India
- Keep It Simple Sonography (KISS) workshop for neurosurgeons in Feb 2014 at AIIMS, Rishikesh, India.
- Eight Delhi course on Neurointervention in March 2013, New Delhi, India
- Fifteenth AIIMS annual microneurosurgery workshop Feb 2013, New Delhi, India
- Seventh Delhi Course on Neurointervention in March 2012, New Delhi . India
- Sixth Delhi course on Neurointervention in Feb 2011, New Delhi , India
- Neurovascon 2011- live Neurosurgery and Neurointervention workshop in Oct 2011 at New Delhi ,India.
- Fifth Delhi Course on neurointervention in Feb. 2010, New Delhi, India.
- GINDE oration and Microneurosurgery CME by Prof. M.Gazi Yasargil, M.D. at Bombay Institute of Medical Sciences in March, 2008.
- 10th Annual AIIMS microneurosurgery workshop 2008, New Delhi, India
- 9th Annual AIIMS microneurosurgery workshop 2007, New Delhi, India
- 8th Annual AIIMS microneurosurgery workshop 2006, New Delhi, India
- 9th Annual Conference Skull Base Society of India and International Skull Base CME, AIIMS, New Delhi, India.
- World Federation of Neurological Societies Microneurosurgery and Endoscopy Skull Base Cadaver workshop at AIIMS in October, 2007
- 7th Annual AIIMS Microneurosurgery workshop 2005 at New Delhi, India
- Circle of Willis and other things- Module 1 basic course in interventional neuroradiology Dec 2006 at Mumbai, India.
- International Society of Pediatric Neurosurgery CME course in Nov 2006, at New Delhi, India.
- National Trauma Management Course in Feb 2006 by Academy of Traumatology (India) and International
- Association for Surgery of Trauma and Surgical Intensive Care) at New Delhi, India.
- 4Th International Clinic of Neurological Surgery: Spine workshop in Oct.2003 at New Delhi, India.
- Brachial Plexus Injuries workshop conducted by Dept. of Neurosurgery, Plastic surgery and Pediatric Neurosurgery , Sir GangaRam Hospital , New Delhi, India on 23rd December 2003.
- Third Annual conference of NSSI in Feb 2014, AIIMS, Rishikesh, India
- XV World Congress of Neurological Surgery, From Sep.8- Sep 13th 2013 , Seoul, South Korea
- Second annual conference of Neurological surgeon society of India 1st to 3rd March 2013 , Jaipur, India.
- Neurovascon 2011 11th Annual conference of the Indian Society of Cerebrovascular Surgery and International Cerebrovascular CME ON 8TH TO 9TH October 2011
- UP Neurocon 2010 Annual meeting of Uttar Pradesh Neurological Association organized by Fortis Hospital on 17th and 18th April 2010 at Noida, Uttar Pradesh,India.
- XIV World Congress of Neurological Surgery jointly sponsored by AANS and WFNS on Aug.30th to Sep.4th 2009 at Boston, MA, USA.
- DNACON-2009 XI Annual Conference of Delhi Neurological Association in February 2009 at AIIMS, New Delhi, India .
- NEUROCON 2008 57th Annual Conference of the Neurological Society of India in Dec 2008 at Pune, India.
DNACON-2008 10th Annual Conference of Delhi Neurological Association at GB Pant Hospital and Medical College in February, 2008.
- National Neurotrauma CON-07 16th Annual Conference of Neurotrauma Society of India on Aug. 17th to 19th, 2007 at Gwalior, MP, India.
- 4th South Asian Neurosurgical Congress-2007 on Feb.15th to 18th 2007 at New Delhi, India.
- DNACON07 9th Annual Conference of Delhi Neurological Association on Feb 3rd to 4th 2007 at GB Pant Hospital, New Delhi, India.
- AAFTIN 2006 7th meeting of Asian-Australian Federation of Interventional and Therapeutic Neuroradiology on Sep. 21st to 24th 2006 at Goa, India.
- 16th Annual Conference of Indian Society of Pediatric Neurosurgery on November 4th to 7th, 2006 at New Delhi, India.
- Annual Conference of Indian Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery on November 6th to 7th 2005 at New Delhi, India.
- Medicine Update 2006 organized by Sir Ganga Ram Hospital New Delhi India on Feb.3rd and 4th.
SPINE 2005 5th Annual Conference of Neurospinal Surgeons Foundation of India on July 15th to 17th 2005 at Pune, India.
- Neurotrauma 2004 13th Annual National Neurotrauma Conference of Neurotrauma Society of India on Aug.20th to 22nd ,2004 at Ludhiana, India.
- Permanent registration with Medical Council of India ( No.24637)
- Permanent registration with Delhi Medical Council (No. 34391)
- Life Member Neurological surgeons’ society of India
- Associate member of Neurological society of India
- Life Member Delhi Spine Society