Keyhole brain surgery procedure is also known as retro-sigmoid craniotomy is actually a minimally-invasive surgical procedure performed to remove brain tumors of the patients. The procedure permits to remove skull base tumors through a small incision behind the ear, which provides access to the cerebellum and brainstem. A minimally invasive approach makes sure that you can restore health easily and there is less pain inflicted, thus the recovery time is also less.
Keyhole surgery involves creating a tiny incision in the skull that allows the surgeon to remove the tumors and other tissues using tiny surgical instruments and advanced imaging technology.
What is keyhole brain surgery?
During the keyhole surgery, there is a small incision made in the scalp behind the ear sometimes. Through this opening, the surgeon inserts small instruments to address the complication faced by the patients. Using the real-time video imaging he can obtain a detailed view of the treatment area. This helps them to see what’s happening in the area where the problem lies so that it can be fixed by the surgeon. Before going for keyhole brain surgery the surgeon will use CT scan or MRIs imaging’s to thoroughly plan the procedure of the surgery. Typically you have to stay a night after the surgery in the hospital so that proper attention can be given to the vital areas of the body. Even when you return home you will be called time to time for monitoring you’re healing and recovery of the wound. Also, other vital tests will be conducted to see everything is proper.
Candidates who are treated by keyhole surgery
Minimally invasive keyhole surgery can be an effective treatment for a number of a condition like:
- Acoustic neuromas : it is rare non-cancerous tumor. It rows slowly from an over production of Schwann cells. The tumor is present on the hearing and balance nerves in the inner ear. The tumor can be removed by keyhole surgery.
- Meningiomas: this tumor originates in the menines, which are the outer three layers of tissue between skull and brain.
- Megastatic brain or spine tumor: it is caused by cancer cell spreading to the brain from different parts of the body.
- Skull base tumors: skull contains a network of important nerves and blood vessels. The surgeon can use the minimally invasive surgery to remove tumor in this area to protect important neurological function.
- Colloid cysts: these cysts typically develop near the center of the brain. If left untreated they can lead to life threatening situation.
- Trigeminal neuralgia: this is a nerve disorder which causes facial pain. There are several ways that it can be treated by the doctor.
- Arteriovenous malformation (AVM): this irregular cluster of blood vessel in the brain could hemorrhage and cause brain damage. The surgeon can remove the blood vessel through a small keyhole incision.
Benefits of keyhole brain surgery
There are number of benefits of the keyhole surgery. some of them are:
- Leaves minimal visible scarring
- It affects a minimal amount of tissue, therefore the recovery is quick
- The day after the surgery mostly the patients o home
- Postoperative treatment can start sooner